Professional Corporation

5 min. read

Under the tax code, groups of professionals, like chiropractors, may form and operate a special type of entity called a Professional Corporation (PC) or Professional Association (PA), depending on the state in which it is organized. The PC is a separate entity from the owners, similar to a C-Corporation, but the tax rate is less, and the shareholders usually take out all or most of the profits as tax-deductible salaries, bonuses, or fringe benefits.

The benefit to this type of association is it protects individual owners from the negligence of an associate, and it can be a useful backup to malpractice insurance. This type of legal form is not advisable. For a sole owner, check with a tax advisor if you’re considering practicing with other individuals.

Join for FREE and keep reading...

To keep reading, join our free Starting Into Practice program now! As a new DC, we know you need resources to help you succeed as you launch your career. Starting Into Practice is your free one-stop shop, whether you’re looking for resources related to job-hunting, joining an existing traditional or integrated practice, or starting your own. A few of our helpful resources include:

  • Articles on everything from contract negotiation to marketing plans
  • Practice Checklists
  • Free webinars from experienced DCs

It’s important to us that the chiropractic profession grows and thrives, regardless of your insurance provider — but we’re always here when you need us, whether it’s insurance or financial solutions.

Sign in Join for free

Hundreds of resources...join for FREE!

Join for free

This website uses first party and third party cookies to improve your experience and anonymously track site visits. By visiting this website, you opt-in to the use of cookies. OK